Thursday, January 22, 2009

A New Beginning

It's 2:30 am and if I were smart I'd be in bed. Instead, I'm up creating a wedding blog. Why? First, because I think some people are interested who won't be able to access my thoughts any other way. Second, so that I have some place to organize my thoughts (and plans!) without cluttering up my other journals. Third, because it will be so lovely to look back on this.

I'll post the engagement story (and subsequent photos) another day. To end this post I simply want to explain the title I chose for this blog.

Ego Gaia

It's Latin for "I am Gaia" and it is taken from the ancient Roman wedding vows: Ubi Gaius, ego Gaia, or "Wherever Gaius is, I am Gaia". It always reminds me of Ruth, saying "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." In these words I see my own relationship reflected back. As we've slowly made our way from Victoria, to Edmonton, to Toronto--both of us leaving our families and many friends farther and farther behind and walking into the future together. And, so important to me, walking together and united in a shared faith. Thus, both journeying in this life together, but also making a spiritual journey together.

What makes me so excited about the marriage ceremony is becoming united sacramentally before God, and having this 3 unit relationship--David, myself, and God. The knowledge that we meet the present and future together, supported and sustained by both divine love and our love for each other.

Wherever you are, there I am also.

1 comment: