Tuesday, October 27, 2009

adventures with the smoke alarm

First off, I made awesome steak for dinner the other day. Best steak I've ever made. I owe it all to The Pioneer Woman and her amazing steak recipe. I'm not saying it's like The Keg, or like a bbq, but for those of us who only have stoves... pretty damn good. Loads of good English butter used. And considering my cooking at the moment has to make due with 1 frying pan, 1 pot, 1 spatula, and 1 bottle of "all purpose spice" (plus 3 bottles of herbs) I am impressed!

The down side of this is that I disregarded David's instruction to "always cook with the kitchen door closed". I'd called him to ask him why, but had left the door open meanwhile...which set off the smoke alarm in the corridor. However the alarms are linked to the whole building, so that means that EVERYONE'S went off. And as I just moved in I didn't know how to turn it off, which, after it rang for about 3 minutes and I could hear people evacuating, I found out by asking the cluster of folks in the hallway. Apparently you go to the switchboard near the front door and push buttons...

So the short of it is that the alarm in the kitchen only detects heat, whilst the one in the hallway detects smoke. So THAT is why the kitchen door has to be shut. And now both you, and I, know.

No comments:

Post a Comment